Here is a new video to show you how easy it is to create maps on your hand held device with Legend of Us RPG Sidekick:
You can also check out the updated manual here.
This video will give you an idea of what kind of game LOU RPG will be.
Again, I want to thank Grant Osborne for the background music. I made some myself but… well, music composition is no place for a dilettante. I appreciate Grant’s graciousness when he heard it.
Also, I would like to thank Jimmy Miller. I met him last weekend at church and asked him about how he might fix the technical problem I describe below and he contacted me twice and made some calls trying to help me. He is a very generous man and I want to point out his website: http://www.quicksilvercare.com
This video was surprisingly technically challenging and if you will indulge me I will debrief. Maybe someone out there can benefit from what I learned the hard way.
I use an old copy of Final Cut Pro HD. I bought it new about 10 years ago. Being that I use it about once a year I don’t feel compelled to buy a new copy. It’s running on a Power PC powered Power Mac G5. It’s pretty much the only thing I use that G5 for these days. I made the video with an iPad propped up on the kitchen table filming an iPhone. I didn’t have a technical problem until I tried to write the video to a mp4. The video came out slightly vertically stretched (or perhaps slightly horizontally squished).
This video took about 12 minutes to recompile and about 12 minutes to write to file so… when you hit a snag like this you have a pretty annoying problem. After… more time than I’m willing to admit… I looked online and learned that you can save yourself a lot of time by just creating an in and out point on the video that is about 10 seconds worth of the video and just compile and write that much. If your problem is like the one I described you will learn what you need to learn but seriously shorten your iteration cycle.
Long story short, the way I fixed it was to export the video out of the old version of FCP, import it on my new mac and create an iMovie with it. I then just output the movie again from iMovie and it was the right proportions. I speculate that the problem had to do with square pixels vs. rectangular pixels and the old version of FCP assumed that I wanted rectangular pixels.